The child left his mother's sight for mere minutes. Yet that was enough time for 21-month-old Ollie Hebb to fall into the top-loading washing machine and become submerged in a full tub. The Utah boy died a day later, after suffering severe brain damage. Between 2005 and 2009, two children under the age of five died as a result of laundry room accidents, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Washing machine-related injuries are more common than deaths. Aside from drowning, children may suffer burns from hot water in the machine, or injuries to their limbs if they come into contact with a rapidly spinning basin. Washing machines aren't the only hidden dangers lurking in homes. Here are 5 others to be cautious of:
1.Standing water. Drowning concerns extend beyond swimming pools. Any type of standing water-even if it's just an inch deep-can harm a child. The bathroom is the riskiest room in the house. Children lean over and look into the toilet or bathtub, they trip, and they fall in. Keep young children out of the bathroom unless they're being closely watched, and teach others in the home to keep the bathroom door closed at all times. Ice chests with melted ice, water buckets or pails, and whirlpools also pose risks. Empty all buckets, pails, and bathtubs completely after use; never leave them filled or unattended. And adjust the water heater thermostat so that the hotTelevisions. Between 2000 and 2010, nearly 170 children ages 8 and younger were fatally crushed by falling test temperature at the faucet is 120 degrees Fahrenheit, to help avoid burns.
2.Televisions. Between 2000 and 2010, nearly 170 children ages 8 and younger were fatally crushed by falling TV's. . The best preventative step? Using adequately-sized, sturdy stands and shelves to support TVs. They should not be placed on stands that have drawers, since kids could use them as steps to climb to the top, and parents shouldn't put remote controls,, toys, or anything else atop TV sets. If a TV is heavy and sitting on a small stand, and a kid climbs up on it, he's going to pull it right over onto him/her.
3.Button batteries. These high-powered lithium batteries, no bigger than a nickle, are used to power small electronic devices, including remote controls, watches, musical greeting cards, and ornaments. When accidently swallowed, they can get stuck in the esophagus and generate an electrical current that causes severe chemical burns and tissue damage. he window of opportunity for getting it out before it causes irreparable damage is two hours. If you're even remotely concerned that your child has ingested one of the batteries, head to the emergency room immediately.
4.Treadmills. In 2009, Mike Tyson's 4-year-old daughter was strangled to death by a dangling treadmill cord. And it wasn't an isolated accident. More than 25,000 children under age 14 are injured each year by exercise equipment. Treadmill injuries are typically caused by the moving parts (like the running deck and belt), hard edges, and programmed speeds. Some precautionary steps: When a treadmill isn't in use, unplug it and lock it up, or even surround it with a safety gate. Remove the safety clip that's tied around the handrail. Keep kids away from the machine whenever it's in use.
5. Coffee. Be wary of where you set down that morning cup of joe. A child could accidently tip it over. Burns, especially scalds from hot water and other liquids, are some of the most common childhood accidents. Kids are not small adults. Because they're growing, their skin is more fragile. And their body surface is much smaller, so a little bit of coffee goes a long way.
- I am a 43yr old happily married female. I ride in the semi with my husband,no i dont drive, and i run an internet business while we travel. I have 2 kids who are 20 and 21 years old! I worked with the elderly from high school years till a few years ago, it was very rewarding but had to do a change. Burnt out!!!!!! Maybe someday I'll return to my nursing duties. I am proud of the accomplishments in my life, I wouldn't change anything,love my kids and husband and thats all that matters! Peace out!!